Thursday, February 16, 2012

Lumberjack Basketball Player Marcus Lever Recounts Dad's Jersey Retirement

Lafayette “Fat” Lever

By Marcus Lever, Northern Arizona Basketball
During his sophomore and junior seasons, he helped his Sun Devil teams post records of 22-7 and 24-4, earning him All-American second-team and All Pac-10 honors. He later led the Devils to one of the biggest upsets in Division I history with a 20-point victory over undefeated and No. 1-ranked ranked Oregon State. These immaculate collegiate achievements’ led to Lafayette “Fat” Lever being drafted 11th overall in the 1982 NBA Draft. As a fan, admirer, and most importantly his son, it was truly humbling to see my dad’s number 12 jersey being retired by Arizona State University, and proudly descending from the Wells Fargo Area rafters.

Walking into the pre-game retirement ceremony, and seeing so many familiar faces such as Bob Lanier (NBA All-Star), Roland Lavetter (High School Coach), Bike Medder (College Roommate) and many others, let me know how special this night was. With so many people in attendance, from various walks of life all across the country, it made me realize how many lives my dad touched in a positive way. With my mom and all my siblings in attendance, we were there to celebrate him and his accomplishments.

Photo is by Robert Kline.
As my siblings and I sat courtside and watched the clock tick down until halftime, I looked over at my dad and he didn’t seem nervous, anxious or worried. He was proud. There were no other words to describe his mood or emotion. He was simply proud. As my siblings and I walked and stood at center court with my dad, we watched his jersey drop and graciously hang over Ned Wulk Court as hundreds of ASU fan’s chanted “Lever, Lever, Lever”. Thirty years after wearing an ASU uniform, friends, family, teammates, and fans were all in attendance to celebrate him and his accolades.

The older I get and the more I play the game of basketball, the more I appreciate and idolize what my dad has accomplished on and off the court. While growing up, not once, NOT ONCE, did I ever hear or see my dad boast or brag about what he had accomplished. After setting and breaking so many records, in countless different categories’ at the collegiate and NBA level, he continued to stay humble.  That right there, is a true testament of a hero. A legend. And a great father.

Marcus Lever is a junior who played his first two seasons at Cal State Stanislaus. He helped his team to its first ever CCAA playoff appearance as a sophomore, averaging 5.1 points and 2.5 rebounds. He was a a 2009 graduate of Desert Vista High School. He is sitting out this season.

4 comments:

  1. Marcus this is amazing...wonderful to read! I know that your dad is MOST proud of his amazing kids!!! Mrs. J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Marc!!! Very well portrayed, I couldn't agree more. :) Elyse

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job Marc! Proud you're my reproduction! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marcus,
    I grew up in Arizona and saw your father play not only in high school, but at my alma mater, ASU. Fat Lever is one of the best basketball players to ever come out of the state of Arizona in my opinion. He led his high school (Pueblo) to back to back state championships, including an undefeated season during his senior year. Then, he went onto ASU and helped take the Sun Devils to back to back twenty wins seasons and trips to the NCAA Tournament. Fat Lever was a GREAT player! I'm glad to hear that he's a GREAT father and person as well.

    ReplyDelete