Saturday, March 10, 2012

NCAA Indoor Championships Blog: Diego Estrada

Junior distance runner Diego Estrada will compete Friday and Saturday in the NCAA Indoor Track and Field National Championships.  He'll be blogging his thoughts and experiences throughout the weekend.

Friday Night (Following his fifth-place finish in the 5,000 meters)
Frustrated to say the least! Fifth place would have been a great accomplishment a year ago, not this year. Last year I placed 4th indoors and 5th outdoors, so I would have been content with a top 3 finish but unfortunately that wasn't the case. What to do, what to do? MOVE ON! That was only half of the task; I still have another event coming up [Saturday]. Tired or not I better bring my A game because 12 months are a long time to wait for another opportunity. 

The race went out in a pedestrian pace for the opening laps.  I was in great position and covered many moves but failed to capitalize in the closing stages. The coaching was there, so was the health; nothing failed, I just didn't respond.  It's a hard pill to swallow as an athlete but with a few hours in between I have to stop thinking about the "could have, would have" and accept the fact that I dropped the ball. Champions have a short memory and I have to regroup and give it another go! I am still in it to win it! 

Go Jacks!

Diego

Thursday Night
I am 24 hours away from show time and unlike years before I feel more relaxed than ever. If anything I feel a bit sleepy, but I haven't lost any sleep over the competition.  It has been a fairly easy day here in Nampa, Idaho, just a lot of eating and sleeping. Around noon or so I headed to the track with Coach Heins to do my usual pre-race routine, just an easy 35 minute jog with Coach and did some quick strides to finish tuning up for tomorrow.

There isn't much of game plan for this weekend, no over-analyzing the competition or race strategies for once on my part. My main focus will be recovery and having a short term memory no matter the outcome of Friday night as that will only be half of the job.  Saturday the real test will come racing on tired legs against the best in the country. Four or five years ago I would be walking in as a heavy favorite for a national title in my respective events, but thankfully that is not the case and I will have my hands full if I am to win a national title. While winning is always good, it is more satisfying losing knowing you gave it your all than winning unchallenged. Still, the fact of the matter is I am running out eligibility. My clock is ticking and I have yet to match up with the likes of Lopez Lomong and David McNeill. while I have broken their records I have yet to put myself at their level. I have proven I can time trial, but I have yet to prove I can be tactically smart and patient to strike against the best in the NCAA. There really aren't any place or time goals but to prove I can be successful in tactical affairs and hunt down the best in the NCAA.

Well, its nap time here once more in Nampa, ID hope everyone is enjoying the fresh air of Flagstaff. I will try to report back on Saturday morning.

Thanks for reading, Diego

No comments:

Post a Comment