Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Battle of the Lumberjacks: Round 1


Three former Lumberjack Football players are playing overseas in Germany: Conrad Meadows, Michael Herrick and Reid Worthington. They faced off on the field on May 19. In of a series of blog updates from overseas, including quarterback Lance Kriesen, who plays in Serbia, the Lumberjacks talk about their experiences.

By Conrad Meadows, Berlin Adler

We (Berlin Adler) traveled west to face Mike & Reid’s team, the New Yorker Lions, in Braunschweig, Germany, on Saturday the 19th of May. We pulled out a 21-7 victory. The game itself was very exciting. The fans in Braunschweig are very supportive of their team and are loud on every play making it hard for myself to hear my quarterbacks’ cadence and audibles. I was very impressed with the knowledge and passion of the fans out there.

As far as playing in the game it was a great experience. Reid and I had our share of jokes and words for each other on the field which made it fun. I only played a couple snaps on defense so Mike and I didn’t get to interact too much. However I flopped on a late hit out of bounds on the Lions sidelines and drew a 15-yard penalty.

The first New Yorker Lion player to greet me after the hit was Mike. Two weeks prior Mike and Reid came to Berlin and stayed with me for the weekend. Mike had spoken about that exact flop I used to do in college, and then I used it against his team in a close game during the 3rd quarter. I’m not sure if he thought it was so funny during the game. Anyways, both of our teams will be much improved when we play each other again in August.

Life in Berlin is exciting and full of entertainment. Any night of the week one can find great food or music along with other types of entertainment. Everyone in the Berlin Adler organization from the coaching staff, equipment staff, and training staff along with the guys on the team is great and welcoming.

My first bus trip back from my first away trip was unexplainable; these guys simply know how to have a good time. I’m living with a German, two British and an American (other import) and we all get along which makes life here much more comfortable.

We are 3-0 in the GFL and we start our Eurobowl run this weekend vs. United Kingdom’s London Blitz here in Berlin, Germany. 

By Reid Worthington, New Yorker Lions  
 

The game on Saturday was another great experience. It was fun lining up against Conrad and joking around on the field. There is only so much as an individual player you can control. I just go out every play, give it my best and have fun. I’m just thankful for the opportunity to play football one more time. Living here is different to say the least. I’m glad to have Mike with me. There are some great things in Germany like the culture, history and art. It’s been fun traveling and have new life experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment